8 December 2013
SURGE TIDE DAMAGE IN THE ALDE AND ORE ESTUARY
The surge tide that hit the east coast, and more particularly here in the Alde and Ore Estuary, was similar to the surge experienced in 1953. Due to a combination of reduced wind speed and the surge and high spring tide thankfully failing to coincide, the estuary escaped the appalling devastation and multiple breaches that happened in 1953.
The river walls, in the main, have stood up well but there were a number of small breaches and several areas that overtopped throughout the estuary. Cllr Jane Marson has been coordinating the breach repairs at Iken and is, with the Internal Drainage Board, organising machinery to make emergency repairs to avoid further damage.
Full details and flood cell reports
Download the AOEP press release (PDF)
21 November 2013
Special General Meeting of the Alde and Ore Association
A Special General Meeting of the Alde and Ore Association will be held in Orford Town Hall on Friday 20 December 2013 at 6.30pm. There will be two important items for discussion:
The proposal to convert the Alde and Ore Association into a new type of charitable company, known as a 'Charitable Incorporated Association' or CIO, for which we now need members' approval to go ahead. The letter and Notice of Special General Meeting set out the reasons for the proposal. Essentially the proposal will not change any of the aims and objectives of the Association - we shall continue the work to ensure the river and its environs are there for everyone to enjoy. Becoming a CIO is a matter of governance, and we are recommending this as a sensible way forward to help safeguard the Association in the future.
After the formal business there will be an opportunity to discuss with Nicholas Gold how work is progressing on the future use of the Orfordness Lighthouse, and to put forward possible ideas to follow up.
Letter and Notice of Special General Meeting
Alde and Ore CIO Constitution
25 September 2013
Ownership of Orfordness Lighthouse transferred to local company
Trinity House announced today that ownership of the lighthouse on Orfordness has been transferred to the Orfordness Lighthouse Company. This is a new company which has been formed to own the building and ensure that local interests are taken into account in decisions about its future.
Read the letter from the Association Chairman
Trinity House press release
27th June 2013
Orfordness Lighthouse - Listed Building Consent sought by Trinity House for removal of fixtures
We have managed to have this application called in to be considered by the SCDC Development Control Committee. Trinity House are due to decommission the Orford Ness Lighthouse and turn off the light on Friday 28th June. As the lighthouse is a Grade II listed building they have applied for planning consent for
Removal of fixtures from Orfordness Lighthouse;
Boarding up of outhouses;
Capping off subterranean water tanks, and
Removal of Mezzanine floor staircase
This means that the Grade II listed building will be completely stripped of everything: hazardous material (mercury and glass) and all the fitments including the main optic, lenses and pedestal, Coade Stone plaque, voice pipes, specialised curved wooden cupboard, glass racks for spare lantern glazing, window handles, boundary stones, newel posts on staircases etc. We understand that the intention is to pass some of the artefacts on to Orford Museum amongst others. Apart from a site map showing the Trinity House boundary, there are no further documents available online to support this application, but these can be seen at SCDC office in Melton.
Orford and Gedgrave Town Council and the Alde and Ore Association have placed objections and will be making a 3 minute presentation to the Development Control Committee on 17th July 2013